Breast milk has everything your baby needs for complete nutrition for the first six months of life.
- Breast milk is the easiest nutrition for your baby to digest. Also, they get to cuddle and be held by you, which helps them feel loved.
- Breast milk contains all the important nutrients your baby’s brain needs to reach maximum potential.
- Colostrum provides unmatched immunity against bacteria and viruses. This makes it the perfect starter food for babies.
- The more you nurse the more milk you’ll make. Increases in the prolactin hormone frequently (every 1-3 hours) help increase milk production, so your breastfeeding milk supply can meet your baby’s needs.
- You’ll know no greater reward as a mother than witnessing your child grow from your body, first in the womb and then at the breast.
- Skin-to-skin contact assists in reducing stress because it offers your baby emotional security.
- There are no specific foods that should be consumed or avoided during breastfeeding. When it comes to staying hydrated, just drink to thirst.
If you find that you need help with breastfeeding, please call the lactation consultant at (618) 257-6067.